Front End Software Engineer (ReactJS)
The Railgenius team is currently composed of a product manager, data scientist and back end engineers and leverages our UX/UI designer, infrastructure team and other product development teams at Railnova. We want to reinforce the Railgenius team and product with an experienced ReactJS developer to reinforce its product position as a stand-alone SaaS web product with a great user experience.
Our customers are very engaged and never shy of feature suggestions, so you'll work with our UX/UI designer, product manager and support team to decide what to implement. You’ll benefit from a lot of autonomy with a fast release cycle.
Real examples of work the Railgenius team has done lately
(that might help you to get a better idea of what this position job entails)
- Implement a user-friendly interface for a complex event processing rule engine enabling our users to detect rolling stock failures in real time,
- Build a powerful data inspector graphing tool to offer our clients a way to discover and graph multiple correlated signals in the browser,
- Show the live, interpolated position (think Flightradar24 for trains) of trains along railway lines and custom map layers,
- Optimize websockets bandwidth to cope with limited client browser capacity, while displaying hundreds of live sensors from a fleet of trains on a single page,
- Design clever database models and API to express multi-tenant sharing of data and complex access permissions, to preserve privacy, security and intellectual property of each party in the data sharing process
- Talk directly to the customers to understand the desirability and the user fit of what is being built
- Recently, we started to use Figma front-end features to facilitate communication between UX designers, product managers and front end developers, and Storybook to reuse front-end components.
Examples of what surrounding team members have done lately
(the Railgenius team is multidisciplinary team as you can see)
- Data scientists trained a physical model on 24 month of historic data spanning hundreds of GB on batteries to provide a predictor of battery health while train assets are parked, writing their own software and integrating it in the pipeline and the user front end.
- Data scientists forecasted future usage of train locomotives by extracting past seasonality in our fine grained historical data, to better predict maintenance dates.
- Data engineers optimised heavy SQL queries and indexes to offer great response time for time series querying and pattern search to our end-users
- Data engineers migrated our real-time complex event processing framework from a homemade Python base to Apache Kafka to help absorb peak traffic and increase availability
- The infrastructure team migrated most of our applications from bare metal servers to the AWS cloud in a few months in order to offer more reliability and improve the life the engineering team
- you are passionate about making an awesome product for end users,
- you have a degree in computer science/engineering or any equivalent proven track record,
- you can think critically about a UX design from your programmer perspective and have a good feel for usability and aesthetics
- you have experience with back-end APIs, Python and SQL,
- you are a good (written) communicator, you like working in a team, and speak to customers.
What we offer
We want you to continue your personal development journey at Railnova. You’ll be given space and time for deep focus on your work and be exposed to a technical and caring team and be given the opportunity to perfect your software engineering skills. On top of that, you'll get:
- A choice of being either a full remote position (in Europe), or partial remote, or full time in our offices near Brussels South Train Station (when sanitary conditions allow for it). Railnova has a remote culture (we are big fans and users of Basecamp) with a few full time employees remote since day one.
- 32 days of paid holidays,
- space to grow through deep focus on your work, one conference per year of your choice, extra courses and self learning,
- a young, multidisciplinary and dynamic team in a medium sized scale-up (~30 employees), with a rock-solid, subscription based business model in IoT and Data Analytics.
- a large collection of perks including a smartphone, laptop of your choice, an extra healthcare insurance, transport card and (depending on need) company car.
- an open culture and nurture creativity, while keeping our clients and the rest of the team in mind at all times.
- a balanced work environment (work from home, flexible working hours, no meetings, no emails)
- meal vouchers.
How to apply