Python/ReactJS Software Engineer
The Railgenius team is currently composed of a product manager, data scientist and data engineer and leverages our UX designer, infrastructure team and other product development teams at Railnova. We want to reinforce the Railgenius team and product with an experienced Python/React developer to make it a stand-alone SaaS web product with a great user experience.
Our customers are very engaged and never shy of feature suggestions, so you'll work with our UX designer, product manager and support team to decide what to implement. You’ll benefit from a lot of autonomy with a fast release cycle.
Real examples of "full stack" work the Railgenius team has done lately
(that might help you to get a better idea of what this position job entails)
- Design a user-friendly interface for a complex event processing rule engine enabling our users to detect rolling stock failures in real time,
- Build a powerful data api and graphing tool to offer our clients a way to discover and graph multiple correlated signals in the browser,
- Design clever database models and API to express multi-tenant sharing of data and complex access permissions, to preserve privacy, security and intellectual property of each party in the data sharing process
- Optimize websockets bandwidth to cope with limited client browser capacity, while displaying hundreds of live sensors from a fleet of trains on a single page,
- Show the live, interpolated position (think Flightradar24 for trains) of trains along railway lines,
- Talk directly to the customers to understand the desirability and the user fit of what is being built
Examples of what surrounding team members have done lately
(the Railgenius team is multidisciplinary team as you can see)
- Data scientists trained a physical model on 24 month of historic data spanning hundreds of GB on batteries to provide a predictor of battery health while train assets are parked, writing their own software and integrating it in the pipeline and the user front end.
- Data scientists forecasted future usage of train locomotives by extracting past seasonality in our fine grained historical data, to better predict maintenance dates.
- Data engineers optimised heavy SQL queries and indexes to offer great response time for time series querying and pattern search to our end-users
- Data engineers migrated our real-time complex event processing framework from a homemade Python base to Apache Kafka to help absorb peak traffic and increase availability
- The infrastructure team migrated most of our applications from bare metal servers to the AWS cloud in a few months in order to offer more reliability and improve the life the engineering team
- you are passionate about making an awesome product for end users
- you can use a UX design and think critically about it from your programmer perspective
- you have a degree in computer science or engineering or any equivalent proven track record,
- you are an experienced Python developer (we work with Python Django in the back end and the API),
- you can write SQL queries and inspect query performance,
- you are a good (written) communicator, you like working in a team, and speak to customers
you are eager to learn or dig deeper in:
- working with processing jobs on streaming data using the Apache Kafka API,
- querying and indexing large amount of unstructured data (10TB+, 7B+ rows),
- GIS SQL, Postgresql limits, and query optimisation,
- Docker and Kubernetes and working with AWS.
What we offer
We want you to continue your personal development journey at Railnova. You’ll be given space and time for deep focus on your work and be exposed to a technical and caring team and be given the opportunity to perfect your software engineering skills. On top of that, you'll get:
- a full-time job close to Brussels South Train Station,
- 32 days of paid holidays,
- space to grow through deep focus on your work, one conference per year of your choice, extra courses and self learning,
- a young, multidisciplinary and dynamic team in a medium sized scale-up (~30 employees), with a rock-solid, subscription based business model in IoT and Data Analytics.
- a large collection of perks including a smartphone, laptop of your choice, an extra healthcare insurance, transport card and (depending on need) company car.
- an open culture and nurture creativity, while keeping our clients and the rest of the team in mind at all times.
- a balanced work environment (work from home, flexible working hours, no meetings, no emails)
- lunch delivered to the office every day.
How to apply
Press the "Apply" button and carefully fill in the 3 write-up questions to demonstrate that you are a good English written communicator and experienced Python/ReactJS programmer. We will review your written submission within 2 weeks and let you know if you are invited to an interview. The recruiting process also includes an on-site exercise down the line.